Hebrews 6:19

Hebrews 6:19 "This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast...."

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

In the Quiet Moments

More and more lately I have been reminded of all the moments I just need to be quiet, to live in the rest for a weary soul that only the Lord provides.  Life can be so busy and physically I can feel spent but that doesn't mean that I can not be quiet and restful in my soul.  I often forget where my strength comes from, that pillar and chief corner stone that is my ever present help at any given moment.   I often think of King David when men pursued him to do evil and harm and yet his very soul clung to God for rest even in the midst of great turmoil.  I have been reading through the Psalms and Proverbs lately, really concentrating on where my help comes from.  Psalm 121: 1-2 I lift up my eyes to the mountains, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth."  He is that ever present help Psalm 46:1b "God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble."  It is so tempting, at times. to rely on anything but God to strengthen me.  I can look to friends, family, google something now a days or read a book, there are all sorts of avenues but there is nothing that can truly satisfy me more then the lover of my soul.  The quiet in my soul is where the Lord meets me during the day, He relieves confusion, doubt and fear and replaces them with the truth of His nature, the consistency of His character and the strength of His might.  The rest and quiet do not indicate passivity but rather an active choice to place my reliance and stability fully on Christ.  This world is a fast moving place, with all it's technology and distractions, it's easy to rely on something outside of myself or get caught up in the activity outside of me but the cost is far to great.  I really need that quiet with my Savior, it is one of the ways I worship during the day.  I can still have quiet during the activity.  When I come to the end of the day, and say to myself: "I really needed the Lord today" are the days that I chose to rely on Him continually and I don't feel like I've missed something.   Whispered prayers deep in my soul to a God who hears and sees all, the scriptures that come to mind with the still small voice, and the songs of worship that are like well springs of life, are all forms of worship that I need to cling to during the day.   I have to dig deep sometimes to get past the feelings of discord and passivity but the fight is well worth it.  Fight the good fight!  I really love that closing verse in 2 Timothy 2:22 "The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you."  Oh yes, how my soul resounds to that statement.  In the moments of each day may I choose the Lord in my spirit and walk through the day by His grace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment