Hebrews 6:19

Hebrews 6:19 "This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast...."

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Strength of Solitude

What a fast paced life.  So much commotion and motion, places to go and things to do!  Sometimes, I feel overwhelmed trying to fit it all in; 'do it all'.  True that things need to be done but it is in the moments of deep solitude that I find the strength to surrender.  Early morning has always been my favorite time, there is something fresh and new about it.  I am reminded of the conversation between Anne and Miss Stacey in Anne of Green Gables: "Tomorrow is fresh a start - with no mistakes in it - yet."  I think that's why I like the morning because the day holds no mistakes.  It holds the promise of God's mercy; new each morning.  Inside the quiet, the solitude, my Savior meets me.  He starts the day fresh, filled with His promises of faithfulness and love.  It is in those moments I find the strength to begin again this journey of continual surrender to His will.  When I look at Jesus, I see that He sought out the solitude, He fasted, He prayed, He spent moments with His Father alone.  How precious those moments are, for in them I find the strength to carry out my day.  From them, I draw the strength to continue my day.  Really it's about rest, not physical rest but spiritual rest, the renewal of my mind as I begin the day anew; centered in His will.  Frances J. Roberts wrote:  "Abiding brings confiding, for to know Me is to trust Me, and trust brings peace.".  Oh yes!  It's about sowing into my relationship with my Father in Heaven, resting in Him and abiding in Him, so my hope will flourish, even as the day progresses!  I can find the strength in those moments of solitude with my Savior, as I have sought His face for the day.  I can abide as I draw strength from Him, trusting in Him. That's what brings the peace.  This peace I can then with me wherever I go and in whatever I do.  How I miss out on the blessing of the relationship with my Savior when I don't embrace this time of solitude with Him.  Essential. Necessary. Habitual.  Powerful.


No comments:

Post a Comment